CD Technology & Linux
Note: As of December 2005 I no longer list CD players. Here at Studio Dave I use Xmcd. AlsaPlayer and XMMS also play CD audio tracks. Consult the listings on Freshmeat for an up-to-date catalog of players and other CD software for Linux.
CD Burning Software
- CDDOIT powerful CD-creation script (formerly known as grabator) from Jose L. Diaz
- Cdrecord CD/DVD recording for Linux, essential software from Jörg Schilling
- BurnIT JAVA front-end for mkisofs and cdrecord
- X-CD-Roast cdrecord front-end from Thomas Niederreiter
- gcombust GUI for mkisofs and cdrecord
- GnomeToaster CD creation suite for GNOME
- XMp3Burn burn MP3 files directly to CD
- cdrdao "records audio or data CD-Rs in disk-at-once (DAO) mode based on a textual description of the CD contents (toc-file)"
- cdwrite more CD writing software
- CD Builder generates cue sheets and subcodes
- cuetools utilities for working with CD cue files and TOC files
- tocgen command-line cdrdao TOC file generator
- Audio Transcriber/Recorder a Perl/Tk utility for transferring audio tapes and LPs to CD
- GRip "...a Gtk-based front-end for CD-rippers such as cdparanoia and cdda2wav"
- PhonoRipper utility for ripping and recording audio CDs, requires SNACK
- cdda2wav Heiko Eissfeldt's "...sampling utility for cdrom drives that are capable of sending audio cd data in digital form to your host. Data can be dumped into WAV or Sun format sound files."
- cdparanoia an improved version of the cdda2wav CD audio grabber
- cdr "Create/Duplicate/Rip" front-end for ripping and encoding audio from CD
- dagrab audio grabber, CD to WAV
- jack console-based CD ripper
- ripperX GUI to cdparanoia and other rip/encode utilities
WAV To CD Tools
- wav2cdr conversion utility to prepare WAV files for CD recording
Cover Art and Jewel-box Insert Utilities
- CDox tool for creating CD covers, requires Java
- Disc-Cover utility for making CD cover labels
- Kover simple KDE utility for creating inserts for CD jewel boxes
- cdlabelgen generates frontcards and traycards for CD cases
- CDfs "...exports all tracks and boot images on a CD as normal files"
- Vmusic good CD database software from Bob van der Poel, requires Python and Tkinter
- cdred driver for remote audio CDs, from Hector Escolar Garcia
- shn2make utility to automate recording CDs and encoding MP3 and Ogg files from shn files